Some Clues On Cancer In Pets
It is not an uncommon thing these days for animals to get cancer. Our household pets often succumb to cancer.
Even animals in the wild are suffering this disease. Soon after I first published the gist of this article on my website, Channel 3 TVNZ featured a nature programme which showed a koala being treated for cancer in Queensland, Australia. The vets on the programme said that they often treated koalas for cancer.This was around 25th September, 2010.
Agricultural chemicals and industial pollution surely must be the reason that koalas living in the bush of Queensland, are getting cancer. Glyphosphates found in the common weedkiller RoundUp have been linked to cancer. This herbicide is used widely in New Zealand, and probably Australia too. The World Health Organization has announced that glyphosphates ‘probably cause cancer’. Gobal warming and the erosion of the ozone layer might be a factor too.
There is almost always a catalyst, a toxic chemical which can be identified as the cause of cancer. If it isn’t toxic chemicals in the air and on the land, it could very well be some poisonous product we are using or putting on our bodies. Jacqui Davison, who famously recovered from terminal cancer and regrew her hair and teeth in the process, had her cancer analysed. Results showed that her cancer had developed from her toe nail. She had kept her nails permanently painted with nail polish, which is loaded with formaldehyde, one known cause of cancer.
Well, nail polish won’t be the reason for cancer in those koalas, or our household pets, but there are some obvious ways in which dogs and cats can get poisoned. Here are the main ones:
- Herbicide such as RoundUp, a glyphosphate, sprayed onto grass verges where dogs and cats may walk.
- Chemicals in food, such as agricultural herbicides, growth hormones, and antibiotics in animal feed which is given to chickens, sheep and cows. Preservatives, artificial flavourings and flavour enhancers in dog and cat food are also bad.
- A diet high in processed food which is deficient in important life-giving minerals and vitamins.
- Toxic flea killers and de-wormers. The poisonous flea collar is one of the worst culprits. The poor animal has to continually absorb the chemicals from such, all the day and night long.
Most insecticides which are used to deflea cats and dogs are incredibly toxic. Harmful chemicals should never be used anywhere in our environment, but toxic flea collars and potions have an added hazard. You have to remember that every time you pat your pet you get some of the poison from its coat or flea collar on your hands. These flea killers are made to be absorbed readily through the dog’s skin, and they are just as readily absorbed through your own skin too.
A seemingly harmless thing such as a flea killer will have ongoing negative effects on you and your pet which cannot really be measured. The harmful effects of a simple little flea killer are big. Cancer and arthritis, multiple sclerosis, parkinson’s disease, are some of the serious degenerative diseases which can be caused from chemicals found in many poisonous flea killers.
It might take several years for sickness to develop in your dog, or yourself, because of a poisonous insecticide which you use regularly on your pet. But it is inevitable that your pet will eventually suffer with the use of harmful pesticides on his or her skin.
Toxic Pesticides Can Cause Depression: Pesticide use also affects the emotional and physical states of your pet. Your pet is affected immediately upon coming into contact with flea poisons. Flea usuallymake an animal feel sick for a start. Have you noticed your dog getting depressed, losing the appetite, looking sad and moping around, or getting hyperactive after applying flea killing chemiclals to its coat, or giving it a pill for the eradication of fleas?
You see the same effect on cats, who often get jittery after having flea killers put on them. You often see dogs and cats in a frenzy, trying to rub this stuff off on the grass immediately after they have been dosed.
The two main long term effects of using toxic chemicals on your pets, or giving them poisons internally, are arthritis and cancer. Types of muscular dystrophy are also not uncommon in dogs and cats. Depression, hyperactivity and diseases of the nervous system can also develop when toxic chemicals are used regularly on your pets.
The answer is ‘no’ to poisonous chemicals. We must stop using harmful chemicals on our pets, or anywhere in our environment. There are organic products which will do the job of getting rid of fleas. There are home-made remedies which we can make to kill fleas or to deter them. These remedies may not be quite as effective as the harmful commercial poisons, but it is far better to have the odd flea about than risk getting cancer or arthritis yourself, or have your dog or cat suffer these diseases.
Poisoning From Unknown Herbicides: The legal spraying of poisonous herbicides such as glyphosphate around the place is a serious problem. While people are still allowed to use toxic chemicals wherever they choose, we have no control over our exposure or the exposure of our pets to these toxic chemicals.
But dogs and cats are especially at risk, because they absorb the chemicals which are sprayed on the grass straight into their little paws. They have DIRECT contact with these harmful chemicals which are sprayed about the place. Herbicide use around parks and grass verges in the city pose a real threat to all dogs and cats living in the area. On farms, dogs are at risk when paddocks are sprayed with chemicals, as are the animals who will eventually get to eat the grass. All toxic herbicides and insecticides should be banned. Only natural organic, or herbal, or homeopathic herbicides and pesticides should be allowed, especially where food is produced, or in the cities where people, and dogs and cats roam. That means there is no suitable and safe place for the use of any toxic chemicals.